Link to county mission document
Kitsap County Courthouse
619, Division Street, Port Orchard, WA 98366

Animal Control & Noise Complaints

Animal Control
Animal control, a division of the Humane Society, enforces the State’s anti-cruelty laws and other statutes regulating animals.

For any of the concerns listed below refer caller to 911, they can report a non-emergency issue to be dispatched to Animal Control.
Some of the violations the officers enforce are:

  • Animal noise complaints
  • Animal cruelty complaints
  • Animal bites to a person
  • Abandoning an animal
  • Releasing someone else’s animal
  • Possessing a dangerous, venomous or poisonous wild animal
  • Sale or transfer of dogs/cats or other domestic animal in a public place
  • Confinement of an animal in a motor vehicle
  • Transporting an animal in the open bed of a truck without restraint or containment
  • Failing to remove feces from public property (“scooper” law)
  • Refusal to quarantine
  • Interfering with impoundment
  • Owning an excessive number of animals
  • Obstruction of an Officer
  • Filing false reports

Services provided by Animal Control:

  • Rescuing sick and injured domesticated animals
  • Controlling vicious animals
  • Removing dead domesticated animals from the road
  • Impounding stray animals – rounding up livestock

barking dogThe Law regarding noise complaints
For any person(s) to own any animal which by its barking, howling, baying, squealing, crowing, crying, bleating, screeching, or making any other noise by its volume or frequency unreasonably disturbs or interferes with the peace of any person(s) for more than fifteen minutes in any one-hour period of any day, and is documented by three or more separate episodes of such noise in a sequential seven-day period. The burden is upon the owner of such animal(s) to maintain quiet.

Exceptions to this subsection are farm animals in permitted zones, commercial pet facilities, animal welfare facilities, veterinary hospitals, or grooming parlors otherwise in compliance with the Kitsap County Code including, but not limited to, Section 7.08.040, or those who can substantiate that such animal noise was caused by an injury or illness of the animal(s) or by willful trespass, torment, or abuse of the animal(s) on its property by others.

Enforcement of animal noise disturbances by the animal control authority requires the submittal of, at minimum, separate complaints from two separate residences and/or businesses in the area of the disturbance.

The Process
If the barking or other animal noise is unusual or has a sense of urgency call 9-1-1. When the noise is an ongoing problem you are required to complete a noise log before Animal Control Officers can investigate a complaint. Click here to download the form you need.

Once the form is completed forward it to Kitsap 1 by email ( or send it to:

Kitsap 1
614 Division Street (MS-11)
Port Orchard, WA  98366

A case is created with your report attached and forwarded to the Animal Control Officers. They investigate the report and get back to you with their response. For questions regarding animal noise complaints call Kitsap 1 at 360.337.5777. For all other questions regarding pets, including follow up on your barking ledger, call 360.692.6977 or visit The Humane Society's website at

City Noise Ordinances
Click the link below to see the ordinance related to animal noise for each city listed.

Last Updated:  November 10, 2015
Current Jobs Open for Bid

Requests for Proposals

Bid Results

Road Paving List

Chip Seal List

Permit Submittal Documents and Information

The Road Report
Get Adobe Acrobat Reader